Senior Desktop Support Engineer(Sp7)-It Service Delivery
Capricorn Group Limited - windhoek, namibia
a month ago
Senior Desktop Support Engineer(SP7)-IT Service Delivery
Listing reference: capgh_000218
Listing status: Online
Apply by: 8 February 2024
The Senior Desktop Support Engineer will be a very hands-on, senior member of the desktop technical support team responsible for the CIG Group equipment which includes PC desktop, terminal, laptop, chromebooks, printers, UPS, mobile device, their configurations and application support including Windows operating systems and software as well as 3rd party applications. This is an internal customer-facing role, and requires excellent prioritization, responsiveness, and customer service, along with excellent verbal communication skills. In consultation with the IT Service Manager, the incumbent contributes to the efficient allocation of computer hardware and software resources, maintains business applications, and ensures the reliability and sustainability of information and communication resources. Using effective communication, technical, and analytical skills the Senior Desktop Support Engineer manages projects, provides technical support including maintenance and upgrading of resources, assigns staff to resolve operational issues, and, within delegated authority, supervises support personnel. In keeping with CIG Group values and competencies, the Senior Desktop Support Engineer develops and maintains positive working relationships with all contacts internal and external to CIG Group. This position will also require the direct and indirect engagement with 3rd party support vendors to ensure calls are action and returned to full productivity as quick as possible. This position may require traveling within Namibia as well as to Bank Gaborone in Botswana, and SARC in South Africa.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS (KPAs)
- Provide guidance and assistance regarding planning and implementation of the desktop infrastructure.
- Provide guidance and assistance to maintain the desktop infrastructure and resolve any issues that might occur.
- Take Control and Assist in continuously improving and enhancing the existing IT Desktop Infrastructure elements, processes and procedures.
- Monitor desktop infrastructure performance, availability and uptimes.
- Report and Escalate any desktop security breaches and work with the cyber security team to resolve security issues.
- Understand and focus on the desktop governance, guidelines and adherence to PCI-DSS standards, processes and procedures. Where shortcomings exist then they are to be brought into line.
- Ensure continuous improvement of desktop availability, scalability and reliability with a strong focus on improving efficiencies at the same time.
- Provide assistance in the operational and capital budgeting desktop related solutions, upgrades and improvements.
- Reporting on desktop status, on all devices on a monthly basis for the Manco Meeting.
- Install, setup and maintain desktop monitoring tools and performance management tools.
- Research, participate and investigate new technologies and trends to ensure that the CIG group desktop infrastructure is in line with the latest technologies and trends.
- Join troubleshooting blogs, support forums and web groups.
- Adhere to, maintain and improve standards, policies and procedures as systems are updated or upgraded or requirements changes are made.
- Disaster Recovery ensure that in the event of a DR, the affected area in the group can be recovered and the desktop integrity of the group is not compromised.
- Assist with BCP planning and testing with various business sections.
- Document all desktop systems and keep it up to date.
- Lease with desktop product vendors re calls, patches, updates etc.
- Implement and maintain Printer Management solutions and provide reporting
- Log calls and assign to 3 rd party. Drive and ensure all 3 rd party calls are completed per the SLA agreements.
- Monitor printer consumables, dispatch consumables to the relevant areas
- Maintain printer consumable stock and order as required to ensure stock is availability.
- Support and troubleshoot Enterprise Applications hosted on Windows Server platforms.
- Support and troubleshoot Enterprise Applications running on Microsoft Terminal Services & Citrix Services
- Support and troubleshoot Group & User Profiles.
- Interact with numerous computer platforms in a multi-layered client server environment.
- Ensure desktop computers interconnect seamlessly with diverse systems including associated validation systems, file servers, email servers, application servers, and administrative systems.
- Diagnose and quickly resolve a wide range of Windows applications and networking problems to help minimize downtime.
- Support and troubleshoot network connectivity in a LAN/WAN environment.
- Requesting and coordinating vendor support.
- When the restoration is beyond the scope of the Desktop Support Engineer, the Senior Desktop Support Engineer will escalate the issue/problem to proper tier 3 support team member.
- Develop trends by monitoring and analysing incoming calls, problems, and support requests.
- Install, upgrade, support and troubleshoot desktop operating systems and Microsoft Office and any other authorised desktop applications.
- Install, upgrade, support and troubleshoot for printers, computer hardware and any other authorised peripheral equipment.
- Performs general preventative maintenance tasks on computers, laptops, printers and any other authorised peripheral equipment.
- Performs remedial repairs on computers, laptops, printers and any other authorised peripheral equipment.
- Customize desktop hardware to meet user specifications and site standards.
- Performs work in compliance within specified warranty requirements.
- Returns defective equipment/parts to maintenance inventory, documents customer repairs, maintains and restocks assigned parts inventory to insure proper spare parts levels.
- Safely package equipment for branches and arrange for the transport of the equipment.
- Responsible for monitoring, operating, managing, troubleshooting and restoring to service any terminal service client, personal computers (PC) or notebooks that has authorized access to the network.
- When the restoration is beyond the scope of the computers, laptops, printers and any other authorised peripheral equipment the Desktop Support Engineers will escalate the issue/problem to proper tier 3 support team member.
- Develop trends by monitoring and analysing incoming calls, problems and support requests.
- Dealing with hardware and application support queries and issues reported to the support desk and escalated to the Desktop Support Engineers
- Provide user data and application recovery.
- Use diagnostic tools to troubleshoot problems associated with network connectivity, and workstation hardware/software.
- Use tools and methodologies to load, copy and customize operating system configurations for deployment.
- Responsible for tracking hardware and software inventory.
- Familiarize end users on basic software, hardware and peripheral device operation.
- Take ownership and responsibility of queries, issues and problems assigned to the Desktop Support Engineers.
- Works with vendor support contacts to resolve technical issues within the desktop environment.
- Escalate issues and involve experts wherever required in order to resolve issues as quickly as possible.
- Works with other IT team members regarding new branch builds and upgrades.
- Dealing with queries by following departmental procedures for fault resolution.
- Operates within, enforces, and suggests modifications and additions to desktop standards and guidelines.
- Arranges for and/or prepares equipment for shipping/receiving.
- Maintains I.T. records and tracking for area of responsibility.
- The duties require that the Senior Desktop Support Engineer correctly records work requests using the approved ticketing application in use by the CIG group.
- Ensures that supported customer accurately completes the approved work request with the date and time of submission.
- Develop sound understanding of IT operations and related applications and IT systems as well as business related processes and procedures.
- Develop technical knowledge of each system within company profile and specialised knowledge of certain nominated areas.
- Maintain adequate knowledge of operating systems and application software used to provide a high level of support.
- Maintains and consistently demonstrates a general knowledge of company guidelines, processes, practices and procedures.
- Ability to conduct research into PC issues.
- Effective interpersonal skills and relationship-building skills.
- Understanding the organizations goals and objectives.
- Self-motivated and directed, with the ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Energetic and willing
- Time management
- Organizing/Planning Ability
- Listening Skills
- Leadership Skills
- Conflict Resolution Skills
Experience/Knowledge & Skills
- Excellent technical knowledge of computing hardware.
- Working technical knowledge of current protocols, operating systems and standards.
- Ability to operate tools, components and peripheral accessories.
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist an advantage
- A and N experience
- Software and Hardware Troubleshooting
- Windows 10/11, Windows 2016/2019 experience
- Routers, switches and firewall experience (advantages)
- Microsoft Office support
- PCI-DSS Knowledge
- Working knowledge of SMS, AD, Exchange and remote-control tools
- Knowledge of all software applications used within the organization
- Professional image and grooming
- Self-confidence and interpersonal skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Good communication (both verbal and written) skills
- Planning and organizing skills
- Good administration management skills
- Strong listening skills
- Able to operate effectively in a team environment with both technical and non-technical team members
- Able to operate with minimal supervision
- Able to manage time effectively, set priorities appropriately, schedule calls
- Able to maintain professional demeanor under stress
- Able to operate within customer standard operating procedures
- Grade 12
- 10 Years experience in the Desktop support space
- Industry certifications, this can include A , N and/or MCTS/MCITP.