Senior Officer: Radiation
Swakop Uranium - swakopmund, namibia
a month ago
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To inspect, monitor, review and enforce compliance to applicable radiation safety legislation, regulations and directives, including hazardous materials control, emergency preparedness, radiological safety, accident prevention and other SHERQ programs and policies in order to ensure a safe workplace and environment.
Key Performance Areas:
- Monitor and control the Companys radiation Safety standards in accordance with regulations.
- Ensure that all relevant regulations and license conditions, including radiation safety regulations and procedures, are upheld.
- Use scientific techniques and equipment to measure and monitor radiation and assess risks.
- Monitor and maintain records of radiological and environmental conditions.
- Carry out radiation surveys and quality assurance tests.
- Report any incident that could give rise to a radiation hazard to line management
- Assess the impact of releasing radioactive material on the environment.
- Advise on the safe transport of radioactive materials and ensure that all transportation and/or disposals are in accordance with IAEA transport and waste disposal best practices.
- Perform and/or review investigations of overexposure, accidents, spills, transportation, transfers, disposals and/or other deviations from approved radiation safety practice and recommend corrective actions where necessary.
- Do regular checks and inspections of storage sites for radioactive materials and monitor radiation levels at these sites.
- Monitor contamination of working surfaces and workplace as per standard procedures and keep records of these checks.
- Report any irregularity noted during the checks and inspections, or arising at other times to line management.
Requirements and experience:
- Grade 12 or current NSSCO with 20 points over 5 subjects.
- B. Sc. Degree (Physics, Engineering, Chemistry, Geophysics, Geology, Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Radiation Science).
- Uranium Institute approved Radiation Safety Officers Certification (RSO 1, 2 and 3).
- 5 years experience in relevant field of which 2 years should have been on a supervisory level.
- Expert and strong knowledge/understanding in the Radiation Management/Science field.
- Understanding of the Radiation Safety national requirements and Government legislation pertaining to Radiation Safety.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of Radiation Monitoring Equipment.
- Valid Code B/BE Drivers License.