able seafarer - engine team b
Debmarine Namibia - windhoek, namibia
a month ago
Applications are invited for the position of Able Seafarer - Engine . The successful incumbent will be responsible to carry out various duties necessary for safe and efficient engineering maintenance and will be required to spend 28 days at sea followed by 28 days ashore.
THE ROLE OF A N ABLE SEAFARER - ENGINE :
- Carries out rounds of machinery spaces at sea and in port, to detect fire, flooding and unauthorised personnel.
- Uses hand tools to assist with the ships repairs and maintenance.
- Operates lifting gear in engineroom during repairs and assists in the rigging of heavy machinery.
- Keeps the engineroom clean and carries out continuous housekeeping process.
- Operates equipment in emergency situations.
- Checks operating parameters of engine room machinery e.g. temperatures, pressures, oil levels while on watch and reports abnormality to Watch keeping engineer.
- Assists the Watchkeeping engineer in his duties during a watch by performing tasks as instructed.
- Assists in the transfer of Fuel and Lub Oil as directed by the Engineman or 2nd Engineer.
THE FOLLOWING COMPETENCIES ARE KEY TO THIS POSITION:
- Mechanical appreciation
- Problem solving skills and fault finding
- Following procedures
- Marine operations and seamanship
- Identify components and understands component functions
- Grade 12 pass with 20 points or more in 5 subjects (including a pass in English)
- Able Seafarer Engine Certificate of Proficiency
- 3 years relevant experience
Preference will be given to Namibian citizens and designated persons as prescribed by the Namibian Affirmative Action Act.
WOMEN AND PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
CLOSING DATE: 02 SEPTEMBER 2023