hydrographic surveyor: geosurvey
Debmarine Namibia - windhoek, namibia
a month ago
Debmarine Namibia requires the services of a Hydrographic Surveyor within the Geophysical Survey team. The incumbent will be responsible for providing full hydrographic survey support services during geophysical data acquisition campaigns as well as on other projects including on-board the companys exploration and mining vessels as and when required.
The successful candidate will be part of our Geophysical Data Acquisition Team and there is a possibility that the individual could potentially be seconded to Cape Town for between 1 and 2 years, while also spending extended periods at sea (in excess of 30 days at a time) during geophysical data acquisition campaigns.
IN YOUR ROLE AS A GEOPHYSICIST , YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO:
- Calibrates, operate, troubleshoot and maintain hydrographic survey equipment and geophysical systems including sub-bottom profiler, multi-beam and side scan sonar systems, positioning instruments and motion sensors, sound speed sensors and other ancillary equipment such as sediment sampling systems, coring equipment and systems as required.
- Operates survey-related software for data acquisition, navigation, survey documentation including review of Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) data streams and software to confirm accurate positioning.
- Acquisition, processing, post-processing, analyses and QA/QC of hydrographic datasets.
- Conducts mobilization and demobilization of survey vessels and equipment for offshore field work.
- Performs onsite offshore quality assurance, data management and preparation of survey reports.
- Conducts all operations safely and reporting any unsafe conditions and practices immediately.
- Manages risk to crew and company equipment.
- Assists with general vessel operations and perform other duties as required.
- Undertakes practical investigations and analyses to improve or eliminate uncertainties associated with surface, subsurface and underwater positioning systems.
- Implements new knowledge by keeping abreast with developments in the hydrographic and marine geophysical arena.
DO YOU MEET THE FOLLOWING EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS?
- Recognized tertiary level Bachelor of Science degree in Hydrographic Surveying, Geomatics, Land Surveying, Marine Science or Physical Science.
- 2 4 years experience of offshore hydrographic surveys and or geophysical data acquisition campaigns.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office, GIS or CAD Software as well as any Hydrographic Software suites.
- Professional certification/accreditation preferable but not required.
THE FOLLOWING COMPETENCIES ARE KEY TO THIS POSITION:
- Proficient with conventional survey tools, GPS (Global Positioning Systems) equipment and hydrographic equipment
- Knowledge of all aspects of hydrographic surveying including vessel positioning, tides and tidal zoning, survey vessel configuration, sound velocity concepts, sonar data acquisition, interpretation and trouble shooting.
- Familiar with cartography and survey documentation procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of marine geodesy, oceanography and marine geophysical and acoustic sensing.
- Good working knowledge of online hydrographic navigation and acquisition software including QPS-QINSy, RESON PDS-2000, Hypack, Postpac, EIVA Navipac or equivalent.
- Experience with seabed mapping and sub-bottom profiling systems, surface and underwater positioning systems, inertial navigation systems and oceanographic water-column profilers (CTD, SVP, ADCP, and Current Meters) would be considered an added advantage.
- Strong geospatial data processing, analysis, interpretation and data rendering skills.
- Ability to write detailed and concise survey reports.
- Familiar with IHO specifications for hydrographic surveys and/or similar accepted standards.
- Practical approach to problem solving and systems troubleshooting.
- Should be a self-starter, detail oriented and safety conscious.
- Physically capable of performing continuous offshore fieldwork including working at heights and in close quarters, vessel and ocean operations including working in adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to work at sea as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
Interested candidates should please submit a comprehensive CV with proof of qualifications and experience by following the application and registration process.
Preference will be given to Namibian citizens and designated persons as prescribed by the Namibian Affirmative Action Act.
WOMEN ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
For queries, please contact Evelina Ashipala on Tel: +264 61 2978000
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and shall be subjected to further assessment and screening.
CLOSING DATE IS MIDNIGHT 24 FEBRUARY 2023