Senior Accountant: Financial
Swakop Uranium - swakopmund, namibia
14 days ago
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To provide Accounting services and to be responsible for general accounting duties required by Swakop Uranium (SU) in line with the Financial policies and procedures to ensure compliance with all relevant statutory obligations.
Key Performance Areas:
- Financial Reporting: Prepare financial accounting reports and analyse for review; Prepare correct updated financial statistics or regulatory records and reports required by law, regulations, IFRS, or boards of directors
- Governance, Internal Controls and Audit Systems: Adhere to and implement internal control and governance framework; Identify and implement system enhancement and improvement projects; Implement measures to prevent fraud and mitigate financial risk; Draft statutory accounts with fully backed up audit trail for annual Group audit process; Partake in internal and external audits; Prepare and complete, accurate local fiscal reporting for review within deadlines; Provide supporting analysis and documentation for tax advisors for annual returns and other compliance; Ensure adequate physical control over company Fixed Assets using the Companys ERP fixed asset module along with all related processes and accounting steps; Perform an annual Fixed Asset verification; General Ledger, Trial Balance and Month-End Processing: Execute monthly Financial Accounting procedures to produce the final Trial Balance; Prepare and review all required month-end reports; Deal with stakeholders in management accounting, procurement and inventory management to ensure accounting is streamlined by these upstream processes.
- Fixed Asset Management: Identify depreciation methods and maintain depreciation rates on the system; Identify and manage Capital budgets; Verify economic benefit calculations on Capital projects; Ensure that all capital expenditure is correctly accounted for in the accounting records; Compile fixed asset note for the AFS on an annual basis; Initiate and submit insurance claims and manage progress thereof.; Taxation and Annual Returns: Prepare tax calculations and returns for review and sign-off within statutory deadlines; Prepare and submit local and international VAT (or equivalent) returns accurately and timeously; Prepare income tax and deferred taxes for review and sign-off; Calculate and post all tax calculations in accounting records after necessary approval has been obtained.
- Cash Book Recording and Reconciliation: Post Bank statements; Complete the Bank reconciliation; Reconcile other sub ledgers: AP and Debtors.
- Accounts Receivable Sub-Ledger: Prepare invoices as instructed after obtaining clear understanding of customer, contact details and terms of the sales; Review the monthly AR Ledger; Follow-up on outstanding balances and initiate collection procedure on overdue balances; Assess recoverability of receivables at year-end and calculate Bad Debt provision.
- Capital Budgeting, Costing and Financial Control: Ensure that capital requirements for the budget and plan are obtained for budget and planning purposes; Review and question capital requirements with due consideration to Life of Mine, Provide input into the annual capital budget process by providing information, trends and creating awareness of omissions; Drive capital cost saving initiative through the budget process; Coordinate quarterly budget revisions and forecasts; Prepare financial justifications for investments and new Capital Expenditure (CAPEX); Provide input to support CAPEX and new business developments.
- Capital Projects: Track the cost accumulation of all CWIP projects; Ensure that CWIP projects do not exceed the available budget; Perform post implementation review for all projects and perform actual performance vs capital budget; Account for all costs to ensure they are recovered; Support projects to implement inventory accounting and posting.
- Audit support: Provide auditors with asset movements within a financial year; Explain depreciation and amortization methodologies
Requirements and experience:
- Grade 12 with a Bachelors Degree in Financial Accounting (B. Acc. / B. Com. / B. Compt.); Honours Degree in Accounting (CTA) will be an added advantage
- Minimum of 5 years Fixed Asset and Financial Accounting experience.
- Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning system (ERP).
- Experience on Large Capital projects will be a distinct advantage.
- Previous exposure to commodity marketing / invoicing requirements.
- Creditors and debtors account management experience.
- Experience in financial report writing.
- Certified Chartered Accountant (CA) certification will be an added advantage.
- Valid Code B/BE Drivers License.